Electronic Field Guide » Best Management Practices
Prepared by Patrick Drohan (Dept. of Crop and Soil Science)
What is a best management practice (BMP)?
A BMP is a practice recommended to minimize adverse impacts to a resource of interest. In the case of a BMP applying to natural resource management, managers implement BMPs to minimize adverse environmental impacts such as soil erosion or degraded wildlife habitat or water quality.
BMPs vary with regard to the resource or species of interest and in scale applicable (wide geographic area or small). Given that current understanding of landscape change is still evolving, the most appropriate BMPs for use with Marcellus development are still being discovered. BMPs vary by organization (private, public, nonprofit), and a variety of BMPs are likely neccessary for the extent of Marcellus infrastructure given the diversity of issues, landscapes, and climates across Pennsylvania.
Below are links pointing to existing BMPs from a variety of organizations. Some are specific to Marcellus development, while others exist for other natural resource management questions.
Best Management Practices
- Marcellus Shale Colaition recommended practices.
- Pennsylvania DCNR, Guidelines for Administering Oil and Gas Activity on State Forest Lands and Managing the Effects of Natural Gas Development
- Pennsylvania DEP, Stormwater Best Management Practices Manual
- Pennsylvania Environmental Council, Marcellus Shale Lease Guide
- Pinchot Institute, The Marcellus Shale: Resources for Stakeholders in the Upper Delaware Watershed RegionWestern Pennsylvania Conservancy, Conservation Guidance for Landowners on Natural Gas Development
- PSU Center for Dirt and Gravel Roads: Field Guide for Environmentally Sensitive Maintenance of Unpaved Roads
- TNC Review: Evaluating the Scientific Support of Conservation Best Management Practices for Shale Gas Extraction in the Appalachian Basin (TNC paper, Bearer et al., 2013; Environmental Practice).
- Natural Resources Law Center- University of Colorado Law School, Reclamation Resources Guide for Oil & Gas Development